Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Book 1 - Animal Farm

Depressing to start with this, but I have read it.

Book Number: 1
Book Title: Animal Farm
Page Number: 94
Page Sub-total: 94

This is a story that mimics and mocks the Russian Revolution. A classic. Relitavely boring, I prefer a little more action. An Old pig has a dream that there will be a major rebellion of animals against humans. Not long after he dies, the dream comes true. Animals make 7 commandments, 7 rules by which they will live their new lives on this farm under this new concept called Animalism. Grumpy, selfish pig kicks out the 'good-guy' and slowly starts to change things, but if the other animals question things, he tells them it was like this all along. Basically throughout the novel, a chapter is set aside to show how the farm moves from having these 7 commandments that are totally against humans to adjusting the rules so that they end up being pretty much the same as humans. The book could include some of the more intelectual 'gets you thinking' stuff, but it is described as an allegory; a fable with animal characters, and it is exactly that; you could read it to your children as a bed-time story. I personally would find it more interesting if it was kept the same story line, but expanded a little.

Overall, as a novel I would give it a 6.5 out of 10. Good book in it's category, but after reading the blurb, I probably wouldn't pick it up again.

Sorry if this is your favourite book, but I expected it to be brilliant, like 'To Kill A Mockingbird', but it was very much so an anti-climax.

No comments:

Post a Comment